Thursday, June 26, 2008

The End

Hello everyone. Nathaniel here writing the last reflection. These past days in the office have been a mix of work and play. Some days we get work to do, but others, we have nothing at all. For example, right now, we're sitting in a cubicle with 3 computers. My two coworkers both have today off apparently, so, the 3 of us are just sitting around the computers pretty much doing nothing. But, just yesterday, they had us counting binders in the various storage rooms around the complex, including one hidden in the back of the cafeteria.

Work aside, by now we have all grown alot more familiar with our host families. After all, spending more than 2 weeks with each other means you do have to talk to each other every now and then. My host's son, Jack, calls me over to play Go with him every day after dinner, and the grandmother in my host family keeps commenting on how my Chinese has improved so much.

Actually, I think that we've just gotten more used to being in China in general. Just yesterday, Miguel caught me saying "shen me?" to him instead of "What?", and I noticed that I was accidentally slipping in Mandarin phrases while I talked to my parents in Cantonese. When I give taxi drivers directions, I'm no longer doubtful of my pronunciation. I think that all of us are feeling more confident just being here. China is a familiar place. Not quite home, but not quite foreign either.

Overall, we've had a lot of fun here, especially on weekends where we get to go out and do stuff on our own. Personally, I've experienced a lot more independence here than at home. And, though it's been fun here, it's time we came home. Good thing that's in two days.

Goodbye for now, but we'll be saying hello in person before you know it.

Nathaniel